Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Preparing the gardens

It was one year ago in August that I moved to this location with my family. I had only a little ambition to do a garden once I moved here and took on many other projects which pushed the garden to the side. Once I took on this project (GreenSurvivalist) I knew that a key component into surviving a long period of time without the luxury of a grocery store I would need to plant a garden. 
Here I am on my lawn mower discing the gardens to get out any big
chunks and to level off the ground a little better than it was.

If the crap hits the fan I know that I will not only have to support my 5 kids and wife but also I will support others in my family that needs help. Knowing this I have decided to plan two large gardens on my property. I started this project about 2 weeks ago by establishing the garden locations and by turning the soil with a tiller and then disc it with my lawn mower and 3 ft food plot disc. 

To do this I got some help from one of the people that will most likely come to my home if the crap hits the fan. Together we measured it, mowed it and tilled it.

My first garden is located closer to my home and is about 40 feet from a well that I will tap into by next spring. This garden is where most of my fruits and vegetables will be located. The garden is measured at 45ftx20ft. 

First I mowed the grass to give an outline
 of where the garden would be.

We then tilled the outline and then worked the rest of it. 

Also on the backside of my property I planned another garden that measures 30ftx15ft. In this garden I will plan my squash and corn as well as other miscellaneous items. 

This location is the very back corner of my property
which is located next to my chicken coop. 

For this plot we removed a small tree, there is my helper who is a master tiller!


The back garden is located next to my first rain barrel set up. I will use the rain barrels as the water sources for this garden. 

I plan on using these gardens to feed my family; however, I know that there is a chance that gardens will be no good. There is the chance of nuclear fallout which can leave the soil useless, then there is also the chance that marauder's will over run my land causing my inhabitants to bug out. I still pan to have the gardens just in case I can make a stand on my property. 

No comments:

Post a Comment