Saturday, August 18, 2012

Family education

While I am going to be searching for the materials to build my rain barrels I have to make sure I am doing it to save money! I'm not going to save money and teach the kids about conservation if they continue to abuse the resources we get now!

Like most other problems in the world you can take it head on and try to tackle it all at once or you can work at it a little at a time with a large goal in mind. I am choosing to work at it a little at a time.

I will start talking with my kids and my wife about the importance of doing their part to cut our dependence.

The first thing I will address is what we have been told since grade school. Turn the water off while brushing your teeth!

Another one is not to take long showers or to fill the bath up to the rim when bathing.

One I know I would like to sell to them but my wife would not allow for sanitary concerns is the flushing the toilet only when you drop one or two. Remember she is a registered nurse so she will not go of unsanitary conditions! Which I don't mind, I mean I want t be less reliant not have a stinky house...

Point is find ways to cut corners to conserve what you do have to use. If you fill your sink up all the way when doing dishes, try just filling it up half way and see if that works the same. I mean whats the point of trying to find ways to collect water to use if you are not willing to cut down on the amount you and your family use?

No comments:

Post a Comment