Sunday, August 19, 2012

Funny trip with the barrels.

Today to get the barrels we had to travel into one of the more urban areas, which is about 40 miles from my house. When we got there the first thing that popped into my mind was, "I sure could go for a coffee." Why would that thought come to mind? 



Well the labels on the barrels told it all! 



Caramel and Vanilla flavoring and LOTS of it! So we loaded them up and tied them down and started our journey which included a stop a Lowes to pick up our other supplies. While we are driving you can smell the flavoring in the truck, so I can only imagine how the cars behind us felt. 


Wonder what people were thinking was being done with all of these barrels?

While we are parked at Lowes the whole parking lot was smelling like coffee, then when we drive to the pickup door every person that walked by was reading the labels. Now this Lowes is only a few city blocks from a Starbucks, so if a Starbucks employee is reading this and you had a massive rush of people today that were telling you that something just made them want a coffee, you're welcome!

The best part was after the barrels were unloaded I had to return the trailer to the owner and while I was talking to him he asked what it was that he was smelling. He then guessed it to be a caramel smell. He hit it dead on and the barrels had been off of his trailer for about an hour already!

2 comments:

  1. Saw your blog on facebook
    Interesting to me!

    Can you make a blog entry of the purpose of a rain barrel system? I naturally think that the water that will be stored is going to harbor mosquitos or contaminated water? How is this "bucket" of water beneficial to survival? It seems a dangerous source of water, unless boiled, but how do you boil without modern means? constantly have a fire? What aspect of this system am i missing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes thanks for reading Jordyn! I will address that issue for you in an upcoming post! I will try to fit it into tonight's postings, but if I don't look for it tomorrow. To give you a short answer, you take precautions to prevent mosquitoes and algae, and the grey water (recyclable water) will not be for human consumption but is safe for plants and animals. I believe in one of my previous post I detailed that I would like to work towards turning this water into drinkable water but do not yet have the knowledge. Good thing I have a year to study these things! I will give a more in depth description on how this works in an upcoming post! Thanks for viewing and spread the word on FB, if you like the blog others might too!

    You can also like my blog page on FB at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Preparing-to-Survive

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete