Monday, August 20, 2012

The planning has begun but the drought is causing some concerns

Today I took the time to go to my locations for my rain-barrels. Due to the extreme drought conditions of my land I am not sure of the stability of the ground once the rain-barrel system is in place. It is important to remember that each barrel will weigh right above 450 lbs when full and I do not want the barrels sinking my blocks into the ground. This scenario can be a tragedy in two ways (1) I damage the ground at the location and will be forced to move my set up to a different location and (2) the barrels could tip over causing damage to the barrels, the building or God forbid one of my children.

So now I come to a crossroads where I must decide if I am going to use sand to level the ground and hope that it will also strengthen the ground, lay a layer of concrete or place the blocks on the hardened ground and hope that it remains stable when rains take place and the weight pushes down.

I think I will explore the idea of using a concrete base but this will cost me more money!! 

This idea will be pondered on some more tomorrow. I am setting my plans to begin the construction of the rain barrel system for this weekend! With or without the concrete foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment