Saturday, August 18, 2012

Water Barrel Materials

Before I can begin to construct my rain barrels I need to get the materials. I will begin that journey today. Some of the things I already have laying around my house, which is great because I want to do it for as cheap as possible!

First thing I will need for the construction are the 55 gallon plastic barrels. I plan to make 2 systems following my blue print idea and 1 single barrel. These barrels usually come in blue or white, I will be fine with either color because I plan to paint them anyways. To get these barrels I can do one of two things. I could buy them off of the internet, but if you google you get a range of $30-$50. So for the 5 I need I could pay around $200! We haven't even talked about taxes and shipping yet! So that is out of the question!

Another possible way to get the barrels is to contact some businesses that might use those kids of barrels and see if they would like to sell them or even yet DONATE them! I have 3 different types of businesses I am going to contact I am first going to try a local soda manufacturer. I've drove by there many times and have seen the barrels sitting outside their building so I know they use them. The next business is a car wash and the final one is a car dealership. I think both of those places might use them for chemicals for detailing the cars. 


Next thing I will need is black drainage pipe. I will need this to create the pour from the gutter to the barrel. Some people buy additional guttering. I already have some of this stuff laying around so I am going to use it to cut some corners. You could really use anything you have laying around that is flexible and around the same diameter of a gutter. 

I'm also going to need some 1/2 inch PVC pipe. I will need enough to do the between barrel connection and the overflow pipe. So for 2 of the big ones I am going to guess I might need 12 ft which allows 6 foot each barrel system. I'll also need 4 elbows of the same size. Also don't forget your silicone and PVC primer and concrete. You'll also need threaded pieces to help you secure your spigot and things like that. 



Next I need focus on my stands for the actual barrels. I need to get some cinder blocks and pressure treated 4x4's. The cinder blocks I will not be able to get for free, but they are reasonably cheap at my local concrete manufacture. I can buy those for $1.50 each. I will need 14 and 1 to grow on so 15 total. The 4x4's I am getting from a relative who is a carpenter. They use those to tie down large pipes and rebarb on a project his company is working on. The only catch here is I have to wait for some to come available. I could go buy some but I am trying to cut cost! So even if I have to wait it will be worth it in the end! I will also need sand to put under the blocks to help level ground. Luckily I already have some, but if you don't go to the beach, just don't get caught! Probably help to get some Quickcrete too. I think I will anchor the 4x4's in since they will be supporting so much weight!













So I THINK I covered all of the materials, next is the tools I will need. I am going to need a drill with a hole cutting drill bit to cut the holes for my pipes and spigot. I'm also going to need a jig saw or a large hole cutting bit for the intake from the gutter. To put the frame of the top barrel holder into place I will need a post digger. 

Now the hardware! I have some deck screws left over in my garage from another project I did in the spring. I will use these to secure the 4x4 frame. 

I cannot really think of many other materials I will need to get this project going! What I am going to do is search for these materials for as cheap as possible, then when I get going on the project I will assess my materials again and decide then if I do need more stuff.. 

Now the fun begins! Time to search for materials for as cheap as possible!! 

2 comments:

  1. The barrels themselves are crazy expensive! I would definitely try to find some that someone can donate you. BUT, the idea that a car dealership, or possibly a factory may donate or cheaply sell them to you would be ideal, but what if the barrels harbored toxic chemicals? Is there a way of knowing that the h2o would be safe for human consumption?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right my anonymous visitor they are incredibly expensive! Especially when you want to buy them new! I plan to highlight my struggle to find cheap ones in an upcoming post! I have after many calls and emails been able to find a seller that will work with me on the price. One of the concerns I had when speaking with the seller was the contents in the barrels prior to them wanting to sell them. The person I am going to buy the barrels from used them for animal feed. I will highlight the importance of inspecting barrels in a upcoming post! Thanks for the comment and I hope you continue to follow my blog!

    ReplyDelete