Saturday, August 18, 2012

Water barrel materials update

After many phone calls and multiple emails to different businesses that I thought would use 55 gallon plastic barrels I found out that those things are 1) very expensive and 2) hard to locate! Finally I located someone who had a large number of barrels for sale and was charging a VERY low price for them! I was able to get the guy to sell me 20 barrels for $1.00 each! 

Now I know you are asking your self, what in the heck will he do with 20 barrels? Don't fret my dedicated readers, I have just the plan! After seeing that those barrels are usually $5-$10 each for used ones I developed a plan. I will use the ones that I need and then store the others in my shed while I attempt to sell them for $5.00 each. I will then apply this money to my project for other materials. Yay Capitalism!


One of the catches with the barrels are that they have 2-2inch holes cut into the top. I will have to redesign my rain barrel system to fit this slight inconvenience but for the price the adjustment to the design will be worth it.

The next concern is the previous contents of the barrels. I have to be sure that no chemicals were stored in the barrels that will turn my grey water into black water. Lucky for me, food additives were stored in these barrels. 


So I will go pick these barrels up tomorrow and will be ready to start my rain harvesting system by no later than next week! The only other material I will be waiting for is the pressure treated 4x4's.  I know I will have to buy the other materials but the 4x4's might be free if I wait for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment