Friday, August 17, 2012

Where we will survive

Currently I live in an area that is surrounded by farmland. I am roughly 60 miles from a major city and 10 miles from my closest town. I have a heavily traveled road that goes in front of my house which sits on 1 acre of land. On my land I have my house, a detached 2 car garage and a shed which is roughly 60ft by 15ft. It is in that shed that I house my chickens. I have two apple trees, 2 pear trees, a peach tree, grape vines and about 20-25 walnut trees that sit on the border of my property. I also have a well that I will eventually tap into which will be highlighted in one of my future post. Surrounding me on two sides is a field, in front of my house is the main road and on the other side is a less traveled side road which T's about a 1/2 mile from where it begins and on the other side of that is another field. We just moved to this house almost exactly 1 year ago. Since moving we have not yet properly used the land as we will. 

I described this layout to you so you can see how I will use my land to be sure that our family can withstand a catastrophic event. I will take on projects that will utilize every inch of my property to ensure that we will survive. I will share my gardening ideas, energy ideas, utility ideas and survival ideas. I also described this land to show that you don't have to live in the mountains to prepare, you can prepare right her in the Mid-West..

My goal is to be more independent 1 year from now. I will use this as a forum to note my progress not only for the readers but so I can go back and find what I did and how I did it in case I need that information in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment