Sunday, August 19, 2012

Owl Creek Gazette

This is a cool magazine that I found at the super market today. There were some really neat articles in it. AND IT WAS FREE!




You can find their blog here




One article that drew me in the most was "The Power and Beauty of Wind". This was a Q & A article about, you guessed it, wind turbines. One line really caught my eye! 

"A word of caution here - this is not a project to be taken on by the weekend warrior - leave it to the qualified electricians and installers"

I can see what they would mean here, this can be a dangerous project, I mean you ARE working with electricity, but can't a single person take it upon themselves to study the ins & outs of a wind turbine and build their own? Maybe it's just a way to make sure people stay in business. What if 50 families in my area attempted to take on the task of being a little more self-reliant? It might lead to people being laid off, that's what could happen, but honestly, I do not think we have to worry about this, counting on others is so much more relaxing!   

All-in-all this magazine was very informative, and it's not only about being self-reliant energy wise. There are many other articles that highlight business owners that are interviewed about how they built their business, a great article on how to make sourdough bread and another section with some recipes. There is another article that was very informative about how to publish your own book.

I will read it again and I hope you check it out just to see if it fits your taste!

Did I mention it is FREE?

2 comments:

  1. Jan Stover of the Owl Creek Gazette here. Thanks for posting a photo of our August issue. It's great to see more and more folks picking up a copy and enjoying our free monthly magazine which we distribute throughout South Central Illinois. Thanks also for including a link to our website, so folks outside our distribution area can read the current (and archived issues) online at their convenience. Regarding the article on “The Power and Beauty of Wind” and the specific line you mentioned, "A word of caution here - this is not a project to be taken on by the weekend warrior - leave it to the qualified electricians and installers" ... I’m sure my husband, Don, who is co-editor of the Owl Creek Gazette, authored the article on The Power and Beauty of Wind, and a weekend warrior himself, would be delighted by the scenario you mention i.e. individuals/neighbors joining forces and working together to become more energy self-reliant. In such efforts, there would no doubt be folks with a variety of talents, skills and areas of expertise to draw from -- such as qualified electricians and installers. But being qualified does not necessarily mean those folks have to personally be in the business of wind and solar energy themselves, but would have the necessary experience to offer up their knowledge and/or hands-on assistance for effective, efficient and safe calculations and installation. I’m betting Don might want to revisit this idea in our September issue for further explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking time to review my post on your newsletter. As for sharing it, I was happy to share it with others, especially since it was so informational. I would love to see more on the topic! Thanks for looking at my blog and I hope you continue to monitor the adventure my family and I are taking to be less reliant on others and more self-sufficient! I will continue to watch your blog and share interesting stories with my readers!

    ReplyDelete